Saturday, June 28, 2003

Rain Removes Toe Polish

Our waitress at lunch today brought up some interesting conversation and for the life of me, I can't remember EVER discussing this issue. I was sitting at a picnic table comfortably smooshed between my dear and Jason. Across from me was Robert and Randy... a very fine group of folks to share lunch with at the Outback Crab Shack, formerly known as the Six Mile Marina, in St. Augustine. Jason was in the process of ordering his lunch when the topic of rain came up. It's a given that weather WILL be discussed when in Florida, it's a guarantee so place your bets accordingly. Our waitress, the very pleasant Kay, formerly of Nashville, was telling us about a recent shift she worked when the heavens opened up. She and a few other servers were handling a party of 300+ guests whom all flocked under the tents to continue their lunch and attempt to stay dry. The servers, however, were in and out of the rain. Kay told us it rained so much that when she got home that evening and removed her socks and shoes, her toenail polish had come off. That was some kinda rain, no doubt.

Speaking of Polish, I am. My mom grew up in Arcadia, WI but we always went to Winona, MN to visit my grandma and uncle. I rode to Winona last month as an endurance ride the IBA calls a BunBurner (1,500 miles in 36 hours or less.) My uncle Shorty lives in Winona and I absolutely love visiting there!