Thursday, April 27, 2006

How Chickens Clean Themselves

One major part of a chicken's day is bath time. Most females will probably agree, a nice long soak in the tub can wash away any of the day's problems and make us forget the world around us. I think it's got to be just about the same for the poultry girls.


I watch the girls take their numerous dust baths every day while they're outside practicing their chickenness. Ella, or Little Ella as she's commonly called, was the first to take to this ritual. I was really surprised since she is, as you may have guessed, the littliest of the trio. She is still the most eager and aggressive bather in the bunch. For all of them, it's like entering some kind of freaky opium zone. They get totally stoned, euphoria abounds! As you can see, Ella looks like roadkill once she's nearly done.



Speaking of roadkill...

It's really no surprise to learn that chickens aren't that bright. I'm sure that my girls would never make it to the other side of the road. They have, what I have named A2D2: Avian Attention Deficit Disorder. I thought my cats were bad??? They're furry Einsteins compared to these girls. It's all fine ... it makes for great entertainment.

4 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

Yeah, not the brightest bulbs, but so very cute. Mine are trying so hard to scratch a proper dusting hole but ground has just been a little too moist since I've been letting them out. Are yours staying out at night by themselves yet? I have to take that step soon and I am nervous.

April 28, 2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger Juli said...

FC: I'm not finding much information on what to expect when the chicks are on their own at night. I turned their light out one night (in the brood box) and they did fine. I tried it the second night and it didn't go over very well. Advice??

April 30, 2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

M: I live on a giant sandbox so dusting is super easy for the girls. I let them stay outside all day but they come in at night, still. It'll be a few weeks til they're ready, I think. Ella still has adult feathers coming in so I want to definitely wait until she's all set.

April 30, 2006 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why on earth do you have a dead pre-fledge crow amongst your chickens? Crows are very intelligent, wonderful birds.
Every caw is a song.
Those pictures make me ill.
Please, do yourself a favor and read up on crows, and give that baby a burial! It is just wrong to think that it is okay to humiliate, desecrate and plain hurt a crow.

August 16, 2006 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home