Monday, November 15, 2004

Like Dana, I Don't Want Alzheimers

Dana told me recently that she didn't want to get Alzheimers so she has learned how to knit. Ok, that's not exactly how the conversation went, but it's the gist of it. The point she wanted to emphasize is that exercising our brains is believed to ward off the onset of Alzheimers. She's aware of this and is therefore making an effort to continue learning. Makes sense.

I thought about this over the last few weeks and realized that I have a lot of free time on my hands. I've been feeling rather dumb and unchallenged lately when it comes to my own brain. I read fairly often, so my brain doesn't stay in a constant state of slumber, but I'll admit to not challenging it lately.

Knowing that I'll be friends with Dana into our old age made this whole anti-Alzheimers thing a bit of a challenge. I don't want to be forgotten, maybe some moments or things I've said, but not ME. Additionally, I don't want to forget her, she is some kinda something special and I'm not going to get down to the finish line and forget someone whose meant so much to me for such a long time. She'd be down right pissed and so I have an obligation here.

For years, I've been dabbling in self-teaching and getting just about nowhere. I've decided to add a little bit of structure to the training and so I enrolled in an online course through the local community college. The course is CREATING WEB PAGES and will last six weeks. I believe I can commit to six weeks, especially since I can eat while exercising.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home