Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Journey Notes: Goin' Postal

I enjoy travelling and some would even say I travel a lot. Most, well, nearly all of my travel from the last four years has been by motorcycle. I realize that I seldom write about my trips on my blog. I correspond with many people who will get tidbits of tales from the road and I share in conversation the interesting places I've seen and people I've met yet the blog is bare. I'm going to try to do better about that. I've got hundreds and hundreds of photos and a saddlebag full of stories to share so I'll make a better effort to blog about my excursions.

Today I'll share a little insight into the postal service. I am coo-coo crazy about correspondence and most things associated with the mail. No, I don't work for the USPS and no, I don't think it's a place I should work. My level of focus would be nil as I looked at postmarks, handwriting, mailing addresses... I'd be a failure on the job so I won't even consider employment. Sure, being a post mistress in some rural western town does make my heart skip a beat but that's just a romantic notion that dreams are made of.

I went postal earlier this month--for the second time. On December 1st, I rode to DC. (yeah, I know... who in their right mind rides a motorcycle to DC in December?!) The main purpose for the trip was to visit a friend and visit we did. In addition to that girl time, I went into the District to go to what I commonly call "Utopia." Yes, the National Postal Museum. I just love that place. *sigh* Check out their cool floor tiles:


I still have the mailbox from the house I grew up in. It's much smaller and plainer than these postboxes:





1 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Right on! I am always trying to convince people how cool the Postal Museum is...it rocks! Definitely tied as my fave (along with the Sackler Gallery).

December 29, 2004 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home