Monday, January 10, 2005

Taking a Step Forward

It's not uncommon for me to hear "I live my life vicariously through you". My friends enjoy hearing about the places I go, the people I meet... my life experiences. If I've said it once, I've said it a couple times, I believe this life is mine to experience and so I do. I'm not a world traveler nor do I venture out of my house on a consistent basis, but when I do, I seek experience.

It dawned on me this morning that even as a kid, I've always been one to go after the things in life that catch my eye. One particular experience flooded my memory and although it doesn't make me sound like a bright kid, it does confirm that I have truly taken the steps needed to try out new things.

When I was about eight years old, it dawned on me that I'd never had a bee sting. I'd heard other kids scream in the neighborhood when they had an encounter with the insect of the stinging kind and wondered: hmm... what's that all about? I didn't take the short bus to school, really, I didn't. I was an honor roll kid before the bumper stickers made us want to smack those kids and their parents.

It was a warm and sunny summer day when I decided to remove my socks and very cool Adidas sneakers. I had the same sneakers that Kevin Skinner wore... oh the crush I had on him! White with three green stripes. Tres cool. The dandelions were in bloom and were beckoning the bees to visit. I believed this was a perfect hunting ground for me to test my level of pain tolerance and step through the threshold of experience.

My Mother had always told me I was an impatient person and this action was just another bee in her bonnet of being right. She also told me that I was stubborn and when I set my mind to something, little, if anything, got in my way. I proved Mom right that day when I intentionally found a bee to stomp on with my bare foot. I quickly learned what made kids scream and cry... although I did neither. But, I did feel the pain that was involved with the sting of the bee and as fate would have it, I was stung three other times that summer, by accident.

1 Comments:

Blogger Salsguy said...

Would you believe I shot myself with a BB gun once, just to see what all the fuss was about. Made sure it was my foot so I wouldn't take my eye out.

Way to go girl! Learn from experience.

January 12, 2005 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home