Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Update on Ian

Just spoke with my brother and am happy to report that Ian is resting peacefully in his private room post-op. The surgery lasted three hours and went perfectly well. The surgeon used a human valve to replace the pig's valve used when Ian was 3 months old. Apparently, there is less chance for rejection in comparison to using a synthetic valve. At 2pm New Mexico time, Ian was groggy from the morphine drip and was expected to be off the ventilator shortly. He's expected to recover enough by Sunday to recoup at home for a month before returning to normal activities.

I can't find the words to express the relief of knowing Ian's surgery went well. When I talked with my brother a couple nights prior, his fear was tangible. That made matters harder to handle because my brother is so low key, pragmatic and detached from emotion. Not being a parent myself means I can only imagine his emotional state. I know that fear when a parent is the one in danger and I'm sure the feelings are just as strong or stronger when a child is involved.

Thank you to all who offered support in private and by contacting me. It means much and I appreciate it.

4 Comments:

Blogger bricotrout said...

ditto tj's comment

May 25, 2005 8:14 PM  
Blogger Adventuring through Florida's WILD life! said...

Excellent news, glad to hear it.

May 26, 2005 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great News! :)

Steve

May 26, 2005 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew. I was holding my breath, too. Thanks for the update!

May 27, 2005 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home