Sunday, August 28, 2005

Postmark: Belgium

I recently received a letter in the mail from someone in Belgium. I don't know this person, but that's not so strange for me because I write to people I don't know quite often.

This letter came from Erika. Apparently, I sent Erika some mail four years ago. The mailing was lost in her closet somehow, sometime, until a few weeks ago. Erika was kind enough to send a response that included: a hand-made envelope, a hand-written note, some blank postcards and some stickers for my future use.

Receiving the missive reminded me of sending out a message in a bottle... she received my original correspondence and responded, which was truly never expected, but hoped for. As a child, I remember releasing helium-filled balloons with notes attached, wishful that someone would eventually find the empty balloon and take a few moments to respond. At the same time, I would always pick up a fallen balloon in hopes that maybe it was one I'd sent skywards or better yet, one that some other hopeful note-writer had released with shared optimism.

3 Comments:

Blogger *** said...

That's so cool! I should encourage my son to do something like that. He's very creative and would just be ecstatic if he ever received a response.

August 28, 2005 5:02 PM  
Blogger bricotrout said...

thats so ironic because when i I.M. you it often takes that long to get a response. ;)

August 28, 2005 9:26 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

K: Yeah, what's he got to lose? When I was just past his age, I was up to my eyeballs in pen-pals. I had 21, in fact, when I was 12. I'm still in touch with a couple and actually had the one from Sweden stay with me a few years ago.

B: You think that's IRONY?

HT: What a nice way of looking at it! I've made quite a few friends from my random ramblings... good for me! :)

August 31, 2005 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home