Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Talk About Reading In Bed

I'll admit it, I read chick-lit. It's true, just like romance novels, they're all about the same. On occasion, one will make me laugh out loud. Some might make me feel all mushy-gushy romantic. Others might bore me to tears.



My current read is The Dewey Decimal System of Love by Josephine Carr. I bought the book when Barnes & Noble was running a sinful 75% off deal. (I can rarely resist those!) I had a hankerin' to read something with little to no substance and I got exactly what I was looking for! To be completely honest, the book appealed to me because like Ally (the main character), I also work in a library. It has been a lot of fun to read her descriptions of the library's patrons, there's no doubt that every public library everywhere has the same daily visitors.

Anyway, a co-worker (who is a librarian, like Ally) was asking about the book she saw me reading during lunch one day, so I told her about it. I warned her of its fluff but she said she'd check the catalog to see if we, the library, had a copy. We both agreed that sometimes reading fluff is good for us.

When I saw my co-worker a day later, she told me that we, the library (as you recall), did have a copy and she snagged it. Then she told me about this hotel in NYC that she read about some time ago. Later that night I snooped the net for it, I learned that it was actually featured on the Travel Channel at some point. The hotel she spoke of was The Library Hotel. What an interesting concept and a beautiful place to stay. You'd truly be in a reader's utopia where reading in bed was required.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Library Hotel is -stunning- though I have not had the opportunity to stay there. I can only hope one day...

July 27, 2005 9:18 PM  
Blogger m said...

Hey can I out myself as a chick lit reader as well?

I do think there is good chick lit and bad chik lit though. My faves are Anna Maxted and Jennifer Weiner (who has a great blog by the way). Her books frequently have me in floods.

August 08, 2005 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home