Sunday, July 17, 2005

I Deserved A Good Paddling

For years I've wanted to go kayaking. The closest I ever came, I suppose, was when Jeremy and I went canoeing years ago. It was groovy going down the historic Suwannee River and seeing the wild and natural Florida that few tourists ever see. The downside of canoeing, for me anyway, was the sharing part. (Yeah, I share moderately well.) Kayaking seemed like the perfect way to travel on a waterway: there's great nature viewing (especially birds), you can go any direction you damn well want and you're in total control of navigating the vessel as you see fit. I was right, it WAS perfect for me. I went kayaking on Saturday and absolutely loved it! I have a few friends who have kayaks of their own and I have listened with envy when they've told of times out in their yaks. Now I know I was envious for a good reason.

Since I don't have my own equipment (PFD, paddle, uh, kayak) I had to go to an outfitter to rent the goods. A few locals told me about
Kayak Amelia and with their recommendations, that's where I went. The folks at KA are great! Very friendly and especially, very informative and knowledgeable. I have camped on Little Talbot Island and now I can say I've kayaked near it as well.


On approach to a sandy barrier between the sound and the ocean.

For little over three hours (six miles), I enjoyed paddling on the Fort George River which led to the Nassau Sound, a gateway to the Atlantic Ocean. Along the way I saw a very wet raccoon, countless birds of all types, crabs of all sizes, fish of all flavors, as well as fishin' folk and other kayakers and canoers.


Terns on a sandbar.
Fishing Man
You say oyster, I say urster. Just one of the many oyster beds along the waterway.
A conch nestled in the reeds.
Yours Truly in the tannic water. I was shocked to see this bluff. There's little to no elevation here, as I commonly complain about.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adventuring through Florida's WILD life! said...

OK, I'm sold. I'va gotta do this.

July 17, 2005 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why oh why did I pass up the opportunity to do this when I had the chance??

July 18, 2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger bricotrout said...

wow! a rare and elusive pic of a GOAG. they tend to be quite territorial and standoffish. But if you can bag one, thems good

July 18, 2005 10:43 PM  
Blogger Mary Noreen Bucklew said...

Although to date I've preferred power boating, you certainly made a convincing case for checking this out the next time I have the opportunity! And the pix are fab!

July 28, 2005 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home