Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I'm Like, Totally TVless


On New Year's Eve, the 6-year-old Sony Trinitron blew its tube. Pow, like that, I had no television. So much for watching the ball drop. It's been one month now and I'm still TVless and I'm loving it! Over the weekend, Jeremy took the dead idiot box to a local TV repair shop and here's how the conversation went:

J: Here's a dead TV you can have.
TVD*: When do you need it back?
J: Never. I don't want it back.
TVD*: What? Don't you want me to repair it? I have 7 others here in my shop, for sale, I can repair it.
J: No, you don't understand, we don't WANT it back. We're not keeping a TV in our home.
TVD*: HUH?!?! What will you do???

*TVD=TV Dude

So, Jeremy came home without the TV and the TVD has yet another TV to repair and add to his sales inventory.

What ARE we doing without a TV in the house, you ask?? Let's see...
  • we've planted an organic vegetable garden
  • we've actively maintained a hot compost pile
  • we've read more books in a month than we have in the last six months
  • we've had dinners together at the table AND have shared conversation
  • we've gone to bed/sleep at a decent hour which makes getting up the next day a helluva lot easier
  • we've cooked and baked more and have eaten healthier meals
  • we've continued to work on the office/studio remodel
  • we've felt less stress and less guilt for wasting time

It's been great having no TV. My friend, Dana, has always been an inspiration towards the removal of a television in our home. For the last several years, she's had a tradition of unplugging her TV during the summer months. I've always admired her for that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I counted the word we or we've no less than 9 times in your blog. That's great! :)

Steve

February 01, 2006 12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What NO chickens, sir?

February 02, 2006 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home