Monday, April 03, 2006

My First County Fair


Yes, it's true... I'd never been to a county fair before Saturday. With my strong interest in moving the hell out of the city, growing crops for self-reliance and maintaining livestock, going to a local county fair seemed mandatory. Keep in mind that I wasn't a complete fair neophyte. Afterall, I'd been to the Kentucky State Fair many times. But a county fair has the feel of community, unlike the huge state fair... I know that now.

The 4-H students in the judging ring. I didn't know I liked goats until I got around them. The Nubians were my favorite because of their droopy ears.

The goat-milking hands of a 4-H mom.

As adorable as Wilbur is, I'm not interested in keeping swine.

The Florida High School Association Rodeo competition was held on Saturday. Events included pole bending, barrel racing, team roping, and bull riding. This was another first for me. I'd never watched a rodeo. Why didn't I wear my ropers??

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had ropers when I lived in Lubbock. (I think it was a law.) I miss those boots.

April 03, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

great shot!

April 06, 2006 3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home