Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Good News, Bad News

The good news from yesterday afternoon was that it rained! We've been hot and dry here for several weeks so the precipitation was more than welcome. The garden veggies were depending on our hand-watering and although that is relaxing for the waterer, it is just one more thing to add to a day's To-Do list. The tomatoes are blushing and the green beans are preparing to relocate to the new garden bed. I could almost see the smiles on their faces.

The bad news from yesterday's rain was that the chicks were outside, free-ranging as they do every day. I left them thinking I'd read the radar images correctly and the rain had split to go north and south of us. The girls typically take shelter from the hot sun by slipping under the azaleas or sneaking under the BBQ grill and its cover. I even put their food under the grill, smirking, knowing that it was unnecessary. I drove to work with fingers crossed that any impending weather would at least hold out until the mister got home. Then, I heard the thunder. Those damn weather guessers got it right with a 40% chance of rain. Just the day before it had blown right by, so I guessed it would again. (I obviously didn't miss a career calling there.) When Jeremy got home, he found the threesome wandering around the patio, soaked to their gizzards. They proved, yet again, that they're not avian geniuses. They spent the evening drying under a warm lamp, bragging to each other about how they weathered "the big one" and complaining about what a bad mama I am.

3 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

So chickens shouldn't get wet I suppose. What about when they are grown? If they still have access to the coop they are okay right? I am worried about thunderstorms later this summer and panicking chickens.

May 10, 2006 9:44 AM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

There's something funny to me about chickens taking shelter under a BBQ grill...

You're tomatoes are blushing? Mine are still green...getting big, but still green.

May 10, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

LOL! Dad used to tell us stories of grandad's turkeys going out to drown themselves in the rain... He said they'd just look up at the sky and open their mouths...

May 12, 2006 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home