Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Gone to the Grape


Callaway Coastal Barrel of Berry Juice, Temecula, CA.

I can tell you exactly when I acquired a taste for wine: October, 2003. Leah introduced me to Black Opal Shiraz and I was immediately infatuated. A committed relationship developed, Me and a Red Wine, who would have ever thought it? Since nursing a baby bottle, I've always been a beer-drinkin' girl; my descendents are German, it's no wonder. But I turned over a new leaf: I've gone to the grape.

Ever since discovering
Shiraz, wine-loving friends have recommended wines to taste but I never would. For me, the discovery, the experience, the sampling was something to be shared. My taste buds were stuck on one wine until I rode to Paris at the end of February. Yes, Paris. One can ride there from Florida. It's in Tennessee, you see. It was there that I stayed with friends Bill and Susan and had the pleasure of tasting three more varieties to add to my I-Like-These wine list. Knowing of my relationship with Shiraz, Bill introduced me to Rock Rabbit, a California central coast Syrah which I really liked. It was smooth and peppery. In addition, I sampled another Syrah as well as a Beaujolais which was very different and delicious in its own right.

My next wine adventure took place while visiting San Diego in early March. Michael and I spent a spectacular Sunday tasting our way through the
Temecula Valley wine country. Having seen "Sideways" I had some idea what to expect from such an outing but I was truly a student in this world. I clearly had much to learn about the varieties, the terminology, and the tasting technique. Enjoying wonderful company while taking in the sun, scenery and effects of the wine were all an added bonus.


Vines sans grapes, Temecula Valley, CA.

Patricia Schultz's
1,000 Places To See Before You Die: A Traveler's Life List mentions California's Wine Country as one place to not miss. When she wrote of "wine country" she was referring to the premier vineyards of Napa and Sonoma. Perhaps some day I'll experience those vineyards but for now, I am quite happy to say I've been to:
  1. Hart Winery
  2. Thornton Winery
  3. Bella Vista Cilurzo
  4. Wilson Creek Winery & Vineyards
  5. Callaway Vineyard & Winery

Bella Vista Cilurzo, Temecula Valley, CA.

Inside BVC, Temecula Valley, CA.

Sunset in Temecula Valley, CA.

On another day, I sampled Orfila while stopping at the Julian Tasting Room and Art Center.

Orfila Tasting Room, Julian, CA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home