Saturday, April 23, 2005

Images of Florida

Laughing gull, not laughing.

It's not unusual to hear me say "I don't want to live in Florida." I've lived here for 15 years and believe that's been long enough. I consider Florida a nice place to visit but I don't want to live here. Although my heart yearns to relocate to someplace, anyplace with elevation, I decided to review some older photos that remind me why Florida is a nice place to visit.

Fountain at a private residence.

Cormorant, stretching.

I do appreciate the unique, natural beauty of Florida. There are still oysters in the rough, "Old Florida" as some call it. Small, rural towns both inland and along the coastline. One particular section along the Gulf of Mexico is referred to as Florida's Forgotten Coast. It's a wonderfully quiet, peaceful and friendly place to visit. Some say it's what Key West was before Key West became Key West. The locals will welcome you but prefer that you not stay too long. They actually like things the way they are and after spending a couple of weekends there, I understood what they meant. This isn't the Florida where I live but it's the Florida I'll always hold dear, even though there's no elevation.

Tin roof, rusted - and pelicans.
Gulf coast dunes.
Gulf coast sunset.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was that an homage to the B-52's and "Love Shack" squeezed in there??

April 23, 2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

Why YES, yes it was! Good eye Dave! I have been a B-52's fan long before they ever hit the airwaves. I'm just cool that way.

April 23, 2005 4:36 PM  
Blogger Chemical Billy said...

This was just how I felt about living in Hawaii. It was paradise, in all those ways you think it would be but...

April 24, 2005 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there's no perfect place to live. Florida certainly cannot be mistaken for a place with terrain, but I do so love the mild winters and the ocean.

April 24, 2005 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home