Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Farmer's Markets

On my way to meet a friend for lunch today, I stopped off at a farmer's market. It's a new market and very small. Today's sellers included five vendors, that's really small.

The first tent I stopped at was selling fruits and vegetables and some bottled products made by
Manning Farms located in Lyons, GA. I bought a bottle of steak sauce and cheese caesar dressing, both for $2 a piece. Good deal. Additionally, I picked up some white grapes, red bell peppers, cucumbers, corn and tomatoes. I asked the seller if she grew the produce and she said no, they go to the farms to pick up the goods. They must put a lot of miles on their vehicle, I assumed, since I saw Grown in Mexico stickered on the green bell peppers. I guess I was to take it as the gospel truth since the man seller was sporting an I LOVE JESUS cap on his head. I decided not to get into a Q&A about it since they had several shoppers waiting to pay. I was making a purchase and decided to leave it at that.

I bypassed the scented stones that looked like ice and supposedly smell good when you add them to a specially made hot bowl that serves as a lamp. I also skipped the fresh cut flowers and the guy giving massages for a buck a minute. My next and last stop was at the lady selling blueberries. She's a local grower and took a few minutes to advise me on the bush I told her I had yet to transplant. I told her about a blueberry drop cookie recipe I tried out on Sunday while I purchased a couple containers of her berries.

The big farmer's market in town is one that I visited once many years ago. It was long before I paid any attention to the produce I buy. It's not conveniently located to where I live but I'm interested in visiting again in hopes of making the drive worth my while. There's also another one in St. Augustine that I'd like to go to as well. I am aware of at least one vendor who sells organic produce which is what I'm mostly interested in buying.

If you're curious about farmer's markets in your area, check out Local Harvest for more information.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I have a Farmer's Market just 20 minutes away and never knew it!

May 11, 2006 1:16 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Great post. Everybody should take advantage of farmers markets as much as possible. That's funny that you have a massage guy at your farmers market.

May 11, 2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger R.Powers said...

I go to the St. Augustine market sometimes when I'm home visiting the parents. My buddy Ken Barrett is usually there selling his photographs. Check him out next time you're there.

May 11, 2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh how I love a good farmer's market. We have a great one here in Ithaca - http://www.ithacamarket.com/home.php . But I think I might scream if I ever saw produce that had come from Mexico. I thought that the whole purpose of a farmer's market was to buy local. I would have skipped the guy giving massages too - a little creepy!

May 12, 2006 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home