Thursday, December 30, 2004

Scavenging for Seacows

Mrs. Engle was my third grade teacher and she was one of the most worldly and eclectic people I can ever recall meeting. She was creative and made learning a most wonderful experience. One of my favorite field trips combined two loves of mine: meeting a pen-pal and exploring her rural acreage on a scavenger hunt. Mrs. Engle arranged a pen-pal program with a child from a school within our district. We wrote back and forth over several months and as the school year came to an end, we had a fun-filled picnic at her property and got to meet the pen-pal we'd met through the mail. We paired up with our pen-pal and scoured the grounds on a scavenger hunt. It was a great day and one that served as a foundation of some of the things I consider "fun" as an adult. I love meeting people, I love corresponding and I love scavenger hunts!

Over the last couple of years, I've participated in scavenger hunts via geocaching and motorcycle rallies. When I first started motorcycle rallying as a sport, I didn't have a GPS which made the challenge much greater. To hunt with gps coordinates can dramatically increase a rallier's effectiveness and speed and ultimately their ranking in the finish. Geocaching has become a sport to some, but I've only participated as a leisure hobbyist. I've trapsed through swarms of mosquitos and muddy woods in the rain and had a blast. As with life, it's all about the journey.

Today I went on a hunt for seacows and only had a map in hand. It was a nice day for a drive and it was a great excuse to go visit my alma mater: The University of North Florida. There were two manatees on campus and I shot 'em both.

ManAlphabe-Tee


Celestial Mooon-A-Tee



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home