Sunday, April 24, 2005

A Room With a View


Ma and Pa cardinal were in their usual tree in front of the living room window this morning. They chirped for well over an hour, so much to say, this couple. Accompanied by two of my three cats, I stood in the door watching them for a good long while. In all of their flittering about I discovered the shrub where they're nesting this Spring. I couldn't help but wonder, is this the same couple that is here year round? Do they migrate throughout the neighborhood or has this been their home? Is it a young couple or an older couple that has been around for a while? It's interesting to watch them, how they look out for each other. The vibrantly-colored male feeds the female from time to time. I love that! It reminds me of how much I like to be fed. Having an apple sliced for me is one of my most simple pleasures... it's almost primal.

The feeder is new and it only took Mr. Cardinal five minutes to take to it. He's quite the multitasker. While retrieving seeds, he chirped, kept a mindful eye on the cats, me and his less colorful mate. They don't seem to mind the activity that takes place just a couple feet away from the branches and the feeder. I will tempt that trust in upcoming days and try to get a photo while sitting on the steps. The above photo was taken through glass in the door and isn't the clearest but it shows what my view was this morning.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shot of Mr Cardinal. Was he freshly back from Vatican City? Who did he vote for?

April 24, 2005 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home