Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Exercising My Right

My voter registration card arrived in the mail over the weekend, interesting timing. I'd recently told my husband that I want to change my current party affiliation so getting the card in the mail served as a reminder to do it now. With the help of the internet, I was able to complete and print the required form so I can mail it. No visit to the Supervisor of Elections required. Nice.

So what's prompting this effort? For a long time I've not felt comfortable giving my vote half-assed. I've always weighed pro's and con's, taking inventory of the hot topics and determining which candidate best met the mark on most issues. As I see it, there hasn't been a candidate that has earned a high enough rating to deserve my vote but I've still casted one all the same. I don't want to be that kind of voter any longer. I also don't want my registration to count to any party's benefit. There isn't a party that fully deserves my number in their members' column.

There are many choices to consider. Here's a sampling of Florida's political parties:

American Poor People Party
Possibility Party
Prohibition Party
Surfers Party of America

Righteous.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surfers Party sounds like the only REAL party! :-)

May 17, 2006 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beauty of registering as an independent (at least in NC) is that neither major party is allowed to mailbomb you with election propaganda.

May 17, 2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

Dave: Gnarly dude!! When I took a gander at the info provided on the FL voter site, it said the party was founded in VT. Awesome surfin' up there, I guess.

Robert: Yeah, I imagine having NO party affiliation will either bombard me with junk mail or cause them to think I'm a flake and not worth chasing.

HT: Yeah, those parties are on our list, too. I'm waiting for the Politicians Suck Party to appear. ;)

May 18, 2006 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home