Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I'm OK, Really

Should I be concerned? Is this to be expected at "my" age?

I awoke with ease today at 4:35 a.m. when I heard the bricks rattle. That alone is quite odd because I am a professional sleeper. But when I heard the sound, I grabbed the flashlight from the nightstand as though it was routine. Without pause, I leapt to the bedroom's sliding glass door to peer into the darkness, trying to determine what made the bricks rattle in my makeshift herb garden outside on the kitchen steps. I had an idea but I needed to confirm with my own eyes.

For the last week or so, some of the young corn plants have been found in the morning standing at an extreme lean. Sunflower leaves snatched from their immature stems. I just knew that before too long, once the vegetable garden matured, crop circles would be formed in the 4'x20' raised beds. There have been tell signs of continued nightly visitations and I wanted to see for myself just what was after my garden.

Sure enough, it was the bandit, a raccoon.

In retrospect, I am concerned about my hunt for this nuisance. I should have just gone back to bed but no, I had to go outside with flashlight in hand to have a conversation with this critter of the night. After setting the fallen glasses back onto the bricks and replacing the young tomato starts into their temporary homes of water, I grabbed the garden hose that was near the patio. Armed with light and H2o ammo, I went to the tall oak tree at the back of the garage where the raccoon sought refuge. I briefly explained my stance on the situation and for some reason unknown to me, I sprayed the cute rascal with the hose. All it did was slowly move to the backside of the tree trunk as if to say, "talk to the tail, lady". I knew my action meant nothing so I called a truce and went back inside.

Several hours later, I find myself concerned. Not for the return visit by the raccoon but for what has become of me. Am I going to be that lady with the cats and chickens that the neighborhood kids make stories about? Is my husband going to look for a permanent vacation place for me to go to so I can make art all day and look at the pretty flowers??! This didn't happen before Sunday. It didn't.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wildside Musing said...

Hmmm... Poor racoon. Wish I could be a professional sleeper -- I have the opposite problem!

That person you worry about becoming... I believe I am most certainly becoming that person here... Hubby and I have an agreement that if I go too far over the deep end he can then commit me to the nearby mental hospital (in walking distance), but doubt he'll be able to find me & my hiding spot in what will be our jungle of a garden. Or if things get too hard we'll take up a life of crime for free room & board at the prison we can see from our living room window. We think we've got a great view, but seriously, they've got the best view around!

Thanks for dropping in at my blog today... I replied some to you there as is my habit, but am always unsure if the guests know that!

May 23, 2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Lacy said...

Hey-- I kind of like that lady :-)!! She's got character and spunk!

As my Hubby says, if you look around the room and can't pick out "the weird one" it's probably you (or us, as the case may be). Hahaha--

Have a lovely day!

May 25, 2006 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home