Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Three Became Two

It's been a busy few days around our place. Priority #1 was to find a home for the Cockerel Formally Known As Xena. There was no denying that our Barred Rock was a male. The crowing practice continued and became more frequent. Thanks to a post I made on our local Freecycle site, I found a farm home for the big guy. He won't become dinner and even though I enjoy eating chicken, I wasn't ready for one of mine to become the evening's entree. Instead, his new mama Laura will be taking him to a farm she just bought in Tennessee. I couldn't have hoped for a better situation for the mean man-bird.

So now, the three have become two. Ginger and Ella showed signs of separation anxiety for the first, oh, three minutes then fresh raspberries helped ease their worried minds. Today they're roaming the yard as though nothing has changed.

There's talk of adding a third back into the family. For social reasons, I think it'd be wise for them to have another sister in the flock. I seek advice on adding a new chick considering the age of the other two. The third bird will most likely be another Buff Orpington (Ginger is a dream when it comes to personality and temperament.) or possibly a Red Sex-Link.

5 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

I think you need to find a pullet as close in age to the other two as possible. Introducing baby chicks to older birds usually results in the little chick being really beaten up or killed by the other two. But even one close in age will be difficult to introduce. Maybe think about getting two more, so that there will be two pairs that can hang out, instead of one odd man (hen) out.

May 30, 2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger Wildside Musing said...

From what I've heard and read, that's good advice.

June 01, 2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger just me said...

I am so glad he found a home....I too can't quite imagine yet eating one of my farm friends...humm...

June 02, 2006 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All these chicken photos and stories! I need chickens!

My friends with chickens really like Buff Orpingtons, however, one acquaintence has a pair of the most beautiful banties I've even seen: Golden Sebrights. They look like a feathered Monarch butterfly. He is letting them have at the bugs in the front yard while the other gals look on from their pen. He says one of them wants to be a house chicken. She keeps trying to come into the house, but flying into the window isn't working.

I am glad your rooster found a great home.

June 15, 2006 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raspberries for your chickens! Oh my! Those are some lucky birds. Found you via Mim4Art and remembered your name from Nervousness days.

July 28, 2006 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home