Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine Here

Ok, a post about some good things.

Last night, we set our cheapness aside and went to a "night movie". You see, we know that movies all end the same way no matter when you see them so going to a matinee is usually our thing but last night, well, last night we needed a special treat. Ok, what we needed was an escape. Our hearts were heavy and our eyes were weepy so we forked out the cash and went to see Little Miss Sunshine. I tend to enjoy and appreciate the non-Hollywood blockbusters and choosing this film to see last night was an excellent idea.

I needed the reminder that people never fail for trying. We must do what calls us, drives us, motivates us, moves us and do those things without the fear of failure. Write a poem, paint a room, run a marathon, whatever it is that you want to do. Do it. I needed that reminder in the worst way because I am one of those people who sees the finish line before ever putting on their shoes. I have this internal editor who works overtime to make sure I stay still. She's succeeded at keeping me from creating, from setting or pursuing goals, you name it, she's really amazing at keeping me stagnant. I've told friends that I feel like my life is all in past tense. I look back on my personal achievements without having any to look forward to. That's not how I want to live and it's not how I encourage others to live.

So, onto one goal: earning my Master's. I've decided to pursue my M.A. in Library and Information Science and complete it within the next three years. There, I said it. I wrote it. I shared it. Now it's up to me to do it. I have been haphazardly researching distance learning programs that are ALA (American Library Association) accredited but now is the time to actually make the effort to apply. I've got a few factors to consider before making my choices on where to apply. (the GRE-blech! I don't want to take it and YES, there are programs that will waive the exam based on my undergrad GPA! Go me!) I want to narrow the field to two or three schools and will have to carefully determine their requirements. Some uni's require campus visits for orientation and/or class attendance. I have to weigh that carefully due to distance, time and cost. That's nothing that can't easily be worked on so no obstacles there.

In all my sadness yesterday, I was reminded of the moments that warm my heart and put a smile on my face. This time with Zoe was one such moment.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on Juli!! I'd love to do something similar - but ultimately haven't taken those steps yet because, as neuroses go, my refusal to let anything impede free-roaming travel is a big one. But I'm workin on it ;)

September 06, 2006 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...way to go .. that is what they say to do..say it, write it, and share it..so you are leaps and bounds in the right direction! a friend of mine just completed law school went back at 33...did it...done..went fast :) YOU CAN DO IT!

September 06, 2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger mim said...

Hi girlfriend, you'll do great, excellent decision. go go go. I got my MS at 44. oh yeah, your letter was my first mail in Pareeeee! merci beaucoup. Mail on it's way to you.

September 07, 2006 6:51 PM  
Blogger The Dolsons said...

It's never a bad time to learn Juli and I know you'll enjoy it. I expect regular updates and wwill devise a reward system for high grades :)

September 07, 2006 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home