Monday, August 14, 2006

News from New Albany

What a long week it has been. There's too much to tell, some wonderful, some heart-breaking, some shameful. As far as Gina is concerned, she's hanging in there as they continue to manage her pain. That's all that can be done at this point. I spend every night with her in her hospital room and most of the day. It wasn't until the last couple of days that I started to leave the hospital to eat, get cleaned up and talk to people who weren't medical staff.

"Dying with dignity" holds a lot of meaning to me and that is why I'm devoting this time to be with Gina. She's too weak to feed herself and is fearful of the unknown. All I can do is hold her hand and assure her she's not alone and remind her that she is loved by many.

Thanks to all who've contacted me with warmth. It is appreciated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I run in to hospice patients every now and then through my job. It always seems like they're well taken care of and made comfortable. It's good that you have time to spend with them and are able to prepare yourself mentally.

I hope everything is going as well as it can right now.

August 14, 2006 3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked in all of my books and still didn't find any good words for times like these. Just know that many of us are with YOU in our thoughts, too, Juli, as you spend this time with Gina.

August 14, 2006 8:29 PM  
Blogger The Dolsons said...

The true you is shining Juli and I expect Gina appreciates that more than you know.

August 17, 2006 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home