Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Why We Fight

If there's one thing I believe in life it is that not one politician can be trusted and that big business owns and operates the U.S. Call me a cynic, I'll accept the title. What you can also say is that I'm an educated cynic. I'm not one to just pronounce an opinion without doing research to form a firm base for that opinion. I do obtain my information from a variety of sources, as one who has studied journalism and a person with common sense, it's only right to do so.

One common source I use for information gathering is documentary film. As a proponent of independent thought, I favor independent film. The bulk of documentaries that I've watched lately have been a cause for pause. I'll admit that watching these films stresses me out a bit because I'd love to be one of those people who just stays in line and follows the path that is set before them. I'm no trail-blazer and I'm no where near being an activist but I do quietly support certain causes. Two that come to mind are the boycotting of Exxon and Wal-Mart. I believe we, American consumers, have a loud voice when it comes to letting our wallets do the talking.

For example, I haven't pulled into an Exxon station in years and Wal-Mart has been off of my list of shopping spots for well over a year. I don't only watch out for falling prices, I watch out for the mountains of shit that such corporate mongers create and convince consumers to climb. I can be as thrifty as the next bargain shopper and deciding where I pass the buck is a part of the shopping experience. A lot of time it means just saying NO. No to the increase of unnecessary consumption and no to certain retailers and corporations. I try to spend with a conscience, one without guilt.

Many people are familiar with Morgan Spurlock's Super Size Me which encourages us to evaluate what we eat, reconsider the convenience of fast-food and question the ethics of McDonalds in particular. As more food for thought, I strongly encourage everyone to watch the following documentaries on Wal-Mart:

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

Frontline: Is Wal-Mart Good for America

The last documentary I watched is still playing over and over in my head. Why We Fight takes a thorough look at the U.S. as it becomes a militaristic empire. The content made me uncomfortable for a couple of reasons. One because I am married to a former Marine, I'm the sister of a former sailor, and I'm the daughter of an Army "lifer". The military has been a part of my life whether I chose it or not. Secondly, truth can be a hard pill to swallow. Taking an objective look at what I've believed as truth is alarming. I know how the media can impact its viewers and readers and what is reported starts its spin from its original source. In this case, the U.S. presidential administration, both current and previous.

I appreciate the research and the sources used in the film and encourage others to watch it. Watch it once, then watch it a second time with the additional commentary on. Watch the special features and then let it sink in. Eugene Jarecki's film is one to be watched and discussed and considered.

2 Comments:

Blogger mim said...

Thanks for the recommedation for Why we fight.. I'd seen the trailer for the film & planned to see it but it never came or if it did, it played only a short time. I'll rent the DVD. Check out the blog on ALRdesign.com. I think you'll find it interesting.

August 01, 2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I've seen both the anti-Walmart ones. I haven't been in one for over 6 years. And I love Morgan Spurlock. Have you seen this years "30 days"? I think it's on FX at 10 on wednesdays. Last week a border militia guy had to spend 30 days with an illegal immigrant family in California. It was very interesting. I will check out "Why we Fight". I too am married to a former military guy and I fear all the warning of Eisenhower about the military-industrial complex are coming true..

August 02, 2006 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home